Home » » Debunking Myths of Natural Food Diets

Debunking Myths of Natural Food Diets

Written By Dhiya on Thursday, June 17, 2010 | 6:56 PM

natural food dietsThere are many articles out there suggesting that sticking to a "natural food diet" will make you lose weight more quickly.

In my own experience with dieting and weight loss, I've found this to be true, but not directly due to eating natural foods.

The predominantly accepted theory about natural food dieting is that by eliminating all the artificial ingredients, preservatives, and other man-made chemicals, the body can operate as Mother Nature intended, therefore metabolize more effectively.

In fact, I've listened to some people tell me personally that after they eliminated all the processed foods from their diet, and replaced them with fresh foods and/or organic foods, they lost weight more easily.

But in my case, I have not found this to be true.

In fact, I can't find any impartial studies that suggest this to be true or false.

However, what I've found is that when you eat more natural foods...

  • You consume less fat and sugar,

  • You get more vitamins,

  • You get more fiber,

  • And you actually exercise more.

Yeah, exercise more. That's because fresh fruits, vegetables and meats have to be prepared and cooked, instead of just microwaved or eaten straight out of the package. And with cooking always comes cleaning.

So, it's not that natural foods contains something magical that makes your body burn fat more quickly, it's just that you're consuming fewer calories, getting more nutrition, and more fiber.

As for processed foods, preservatives, and artificial ingredients? Well, I'm not saying they're totally safe. And I do think if you eliminated them from your diet you'll feel better and will probably find that the things that ailed you are now gone.

But on the question if natural food dieting will actually make you lose weight more quickly, I tend to think that it does not. It's simply the fact that natural foods are just lower in calories overall.

0 comments:

Post a Comment