Home » , » Lose Weight By Taking Hot Baths

Lose Weight By Taking Hot Baths

Written By Dhiya on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 | 8:22 AM

A few months ago I posted a weight loss tip entitled, "Hot Baths Can Burn Extra Calories".

In that article I summarized that by soaking in a hot bath, your heart beats faster, and thereby you burn some extra calories. But at that time I tried to convey that it would only burn just a small amount, not a large amount.

I'm rethinking that now.

For example, yesterday I filled up the tub with hot water (not really hot, but just hot enough to my liking, about 100 degrees F), and soaked in it for 40 minutes. As my body temperature increased, my heart rate increased. Not too long after, I worked up a sweat.

After that, I cooled off by draining most of the water and refilling the tub with cold water. I then soaked in that for about 10 minutes.

I ended up losing 3 pounds that day!

Now, to lose three pounds in one day, I have to burn 10,500 calories (1 pound = 3,500 calories). On top of that, I consumed about 1,000 calories that day. And, I didn't really do any exercises aside from working on my motorcycle that afternoon.

Granted, I have a high metabolism to start off with.

But I think that soaking in a hot bath does more than just raise your heart rate. It must raise your metabolism somehow, and then keeps it running at a high rate for hours after that.

I also wonder if draining the hot water and immediately refilling it with cold water does anything too?

I don't want to suggest that you'll lose 3 pounds in one day by doing this. You may only lose 1 pound, or 1/4 of a pound. Who knows, each person is different.

But I'd like to encourage readers to test this out over a period of time and see if you find similar results, or can discover some patterns.

0 comments:

Post a Comment